Friday, March 5, 2010

lost in bondi down under

Bondi beach- infamous- is a site where culture, fashion, tourism, and consumerism collide. Probably, more sunscreen has been consumed on that beach than the entire history of sunscreen usage in California. Bondi is the home of the new reality Aussie TV hit "Bondi rescue." The show dramatizes the rescues that occur within Bondi's strong currents. I was lucky enough to witness the filming of a scene while laying on the beach. It is quite interesting and kinda of sad that Bondi bathers watch with pleasure and amusement as some poor person gets dragged out of the waters while being filmed. Check out some episodes... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muhDOkefb4U). In fact, rescues have become the norm- people think to themselves, "o theres just another person drowning....old news..."


My Bondi Beach excursion has been my favorite excursion so far. Why? Because I went to Bondi Beach the first day I arrived in Sydney (February 12, 2010) and I had no idea where I was going and I knew no one. (I did wish, however, that I would have brought a towel. Laying on a hot beach with no towel can get uncomfortably sticky and sandy haha). I did not even know how to pronounce the beach right. (Bondi is pronounced "bond-eye," when I first saw the sign called it "Bond-eee"- quite embarrassing when trying to ask locals what bus I should take to get there).

It was great to explore a place with a fresh pair of eyes- the only thing I knew about Bondi was that it had been the landing point of major telecommunication traffic. Yes, that right. Little do the Bondi Beach bathers know, however, is that Bondi Beach used to be the landing point for a submarine cable that connected New Zealand to the mainland of Australia. So rather than doing the typical tourists things- such as lounging on the beach to increase my bronze tan- I spent my day (in 32˚ weather!) trying to find markings and residues of the submarine cable. I did find several Teltrsa telephone booths on the beach, as well a manholes (where the cable is threaded) along the walkways. I also discovered that the old cable station on the beach has been transformed into a surf club, restaurant for tourists.


I truly do love the feeling of getting lost and being confused because it forces me to re-think my surroundings and re-evaluate environmental conditions. And I love mediating places on my own- I was not with anyone to give me a history of the beach or tell me where I should eat and dine- I discovered that for myself. The feeling of discovery only lasts for a moment because once you have been to a place your subjective perspective forever leaves a mark and your bearings are set. However, during re-visits you discover new things you never saw before.

Bondi Beach will forever be a changing landscape- a telegraph landing point, a tourist spot, the site of an action rescue reality show, and who knows what else lies ahead. It is a beautiful beach- and I will never forget my first excursion.


No comments:

Post a Comment