Thursday, March 4, 2010

sounds down under



Waking up to the sounds of La Trobe University is my favorite part of the day. The sounds of Australia are vivid, fresh, and new- they reiterate the fact that I am currently "down under". Having only been here at La Trobe University for three weeks, I have felt as though I have been here for two months. The campus is active with sporting clubs, picnics, and movements of students just beginning classes. I do find, however, that it is great to escape the movements of campus by taking a tram ride into the city of Melbourne for an evening or day- it is the most beautiful city in the world. The tram ride into the city is about 45 minutes, but it goes by fast- and once you are there it is worth the crowded tram ride. My favorite food to get in the city is sushi (It is the cheapest food here- can get 2 rolls for $3.00!). The best place I have found to eat, however, was in Fitzroy (just about a 10 minute tram ride out of the Melbourne CBD (Central Business District)- a Thai restaurant called "Patee Thai." There I took off my shoes and sat on the floor to enjoy a delicious lamb curry after an evening of exploring Federation Square.


Exploring the night life in Melbourne city is unique because you have to use your ears rather than your eyes to find your way around. Often, the (good) pubs are hidden away out of view- you have to get lost before you have a good time. The other night, two of my friends and I walked down Fitzroy street to find a pub that I I looked up on google. The street was dark and just as my friends were beginning to second guess my google map research skills- I heard a subtle sound of laughter and a Carlton Draught sign began to emerge from the darkness. After a 30 minute trek, we found the Standard Hotel. A lovely place, with an authentic bar and lively beer garden. The atmosphere there was fresh and there was live music playing. It was a great way to end the day before another long tram ride back to campus.


There is so much to do here at La Trobe University. On Monday Nights, there is $5 meals from a pub called Father Flannegans, (only a 25 minute tram ride from campus), throughout the week there are events at the on campus pub ($2 pints of goon(Boxed wine) and juice- not the most classy drink, but fun to socialize with), and there are also heaps of clubs that I have joined such as the Mountaineering Club and Scuba diving club that offer kayaking trips and diving trips. But my favorite thing to do is just to listen- to listen to the environment that surrounds me. To let the sounds inform me how far I have come and how much there is still to hear and learn. To let the sounds slowly reveal the beauty that comes into focus. I have included a digital montage with sounds of my travels- sounds down under. Listen. G'day mates.



1 comment:

  1. Hi Kelsey!
    Sounds like you are having an awesome time. Love how you are documenting everything. I feel like I'm there (well, almost).

    ReplyDelete